Sunday, March 13, 2016

New Trainer=Better Lessons

At the suggestion of a riding acquaintance, I decided to email a place that I knew of about 10 minutes from my house. Friends board their horses at the cheaper facility across the street from the barn they take lessons at. (What a good idea - gotta keep that in mind whenever we are able to purchase a horse)

Something must have clicked in my head because I chose to be very upfront and firm with my email; letting my future trainer know exactly what I was looking for and especially about wanting help in getting over my fear of jumping.

A few days later I got a call from the BO and we spoke for a few minutes about the three trainers they have and what times would work best for me. We arranged a lesson and it was really a great one. I even posted on my FB that it was the best lesson I'd had in the four years I've been back to riding.

                                           Here's a pic pulled from Google of new facility. 

New trainer, M, set me up on Anton - a bay gelding (wish I had a pic) of, I'm assuming here, some WB descent. He was awesome. Forward, and willing, and sensitive to the aids. We worked on some bending, collection and extension at the trot and canter, busted out a clean change through the diagonal, and hit some trot and canter poles.

I surprised myself by being able to clearly count out the distance on the canter poles. I thought my eye was shot for sure, but I guess that's not the case! Yay.

Finally we jumped a tiny Xrail back and forth, stopping straight. He was perfect, seemed to enjoy it, was forward, and didn't scare me at all. Winning!

We had a few laps of cool down while watching another rider jump her huge WB around some tiny jumps (she never called where she was going so that was interesting) and untacked and groomed.

Needless to say, I am stoked about this facility and trainer. She really pushed me and seemed to know what she was talking about. She didn't let me take long breaks and called out my little bad habits as they came up. Loved it.

Next lesson was wonderful as well. I was put up on Brielle, a dark bay mare - pretty sure she was some TB or TBx.



She took a lot more leg than Anton and tended to bulge her shoulders out in both directions. My aids really had to be spot on to get her to bend in our trot circles. We eventually got a few good ones.

                                                     Am I pitching forward, errrr?

 We worked on some trot poles, where she loved to die out and stumble, and then went up to the canter.

                                                                      Sit, Kaysee, Sit!

M had us do some lengthening on the long sides and then collect for some bendy circles. This went much better than the trot ones in my opinion. Finally we went through canter poles and again, she loved to die out. I had a hard time keeping leg on in my half seat. Guess I need to really work on my legs.

                                                           Heading into some poles.

Tuesday is my next lesson! Maybe I can drag Almost-Fiance out to take vids again.

                                         
                                     

  I'll leave you with this baby-meets-horse cuteness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving us a comment. We love to hear from our readers!