Thursday, July 11, 2013

30 Day Horse Challenge - Day Nine


Day nine

 

Any Injuries that Occurred from Riding


Hmm. I have never ‘broken’ anything in a riding accident before (praise God and knock on wood). But I have been hurt kind-of badly. One that was not so bad that I always think about is one time when I was having a lunge line lesson with Karen and she accidentally ran me into a standard (sorry Karen, haha). Subsequently I was thrown forward and landed nose-first on Pepsi’s neck. That one hurt.

Another one that sticks out is when I was riding Sunny (this little palo pony) around bareback in Karen’s arena. We were cantering along, and I’m not sure what happened but when we got to the corner she must have took off or something because the next thing I knew I was laying on the ground and had blacked out for a second. I guess I had been thrown off and spider-man’d it into the metal fence railing. Disclaimer – this is not portable fencing, this is hard metal fencing, a lot heavier than the portable panels. Thankfully Karen’s husband was on site (she never let me ride alone or without a helmet) so he came rushing over once he saw me on the ground. I was fine, just shaken up.

Lastly, I’d have to say my first fall off of Vinny. This was a few months ago – I think I mentioned it in an earlier post. It was quite an embarrassing fall. Basically I was trotting around (no stirrups) and he spooked and I just kind of slid off onto the ground. I thought I was fine, got back on and finished the lesson, but when I woke up the next AM something was clearly wrong with my back. I hurt it quite badly. Not broken, but it hurt a lot. I ended up only being able to lay on one side for almost a week and was out of work that whole time too.

Boo hoo Kaysee! I know everyone else must have way worse stories.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving us a comment. We love to hear from our readers!