Friday, June 21, 2013

Lone Ride

MI rode alone tonight. In fact, I was the only one at the barn for most of the time. No worries though. The neighbors were out and about while I was in the saddle. 

My original goal was to work on flat work only, but upon seeing all the jumps set up outside, I had to take him over some. 

We did our usual warm up. I made a point of insisting that he jump immediately into a working trot rather than plugging along on the rail. 

After a quick canter in either direction I decided to pop him over a six stride line on the rail. It was an X to a small vertical. 

Here's a pic, sort of. 

Can you see the baby line? 

After doing this twice I took him over the long approach red vertical. We did this one twice as well as we chipped in a stride the first time around. 


We walked for a little bit allowing me to grab a drink and Vinny to rest and then I headed him into the line on the diagonal (dark green to white standards) I didn't use my corner well enough so he saw the fence at the last second and jumped it huge. I also didn't see the distance well enough to the next fence as well as was looking down (c'mon Kaysee) so he ran out. I stayed on thankfully and let him chill for a sec then took him over that fence alone. We got a great distance and left it at that. 

The only thing about jumping without instruction is that I don't know if my position is good over the fence or not. I would hate to develop a bad habit over fences. My leg slipping back is kind of a fear. Whenever I see an other wise nice photo sans leg position, I cringe. I do not want a sliding, slipping, pivoting leg. I want perfection. Simple right? 



We finished the ride with a lap of extended trot and cooled out. I hosed my boy off and washed/conditioned his tail. 

Here're some tail glamour shots: 





Ohhhh yeah. It's like an Herbal Essences commercial. 

After I put horse-charming away I decided this would be the tack cleaning night. I put some music on in the tack room (slightly stoopid) and cleaned every piece of my tack (not much) and used some Ledersoft. Everything looks so pretty. His bridle looks brand-spankin'-new. 



I just got home a little bit ago. Long night at barn..I love it. 

Looky my pretty boy: 

 I should cowboy magic the heck outta his legs soon, eh? 

Okay so it totally slipped my mind that Vinny is getting his feetsies done tomorrow early AM :( this means no ride because he has sensitive feet. I miiiiight jump on bareback. Other than that... Maybe Hope will be available? We shall see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving us a comment. We love to hear from our readers!