Monday, June 3, 2013

King of the Faeries

King of the Faeries

Yes, that is the title of my blog for a reason. The medieval name for this king is “Oberon”, in case you didn’t know. And “Oberon”… is my pony. Well that’s his show name anyway. At the barn, we call him Vinny. Or Vincent, Vincenzo, Vin, and I like to throw in the occasional Pumpkin head, Jerk, Brat, and Child-Horse. By my choice names you might have guessed that he has an interesting personality. You are correct. He is the occasional biter, kicker, ear-pinner for no reason, face-maker, digger of holes to China and maybe has the once in a while explosive case of diarrhea. And by explosive, I mean explosive, but that’s a post for another day.

That’s my boy and I love him. I really do. We get along so well it’s ridiculous. Do I have to have a chain on him pretty much constantly? Yes, but whatever, I can deal with his brashness. Like I said on FB the other day, I’d rather him have this wonky personality than a dull one or none whatsoever.

Unfortunately and fortunately ($$$), Vinny is not technically ‘mine’. His owner is my trainer, S. My self and another gal, K, both lease him. This lease is probably the best thing that could have happened to me. We do a month to month type thing, no real long term contract. I get three days, she gets three. Okay maybe I get more sometimes when she can’t make it. I’m not complaining. The true gem of this deal is that I get to treat him like my own. I am always there to take care of him, always buying him things, and even if it’s his day off I will go up to the barn just to brush his beautiful coat. S literally lets me doing anything I please with him. I remember when we first discussed the terms of the contract and I asked what the rules were, he said, “umm, don’t die?”. Haha, he is such a nice/good guy.

I feel that we on track to succeed. I mean, we are both still getting into shape. Especially me. But I feel that we do our best and truly give it our all. In lessons we mostly work on lateral exercises, smooth transitions, and some requirements for the English Pleasure classes we compete in. Recently we have started to add in some little cross rails. I am having a good time getting my position back and working on Vinny’s energy through the jumps. As I mentioned below, I am used to ‘no-whoa’ horses. Well Vinny certainly has whoa and is more than happy to skip the jumping all together. But he tries. Not sure if he actually enjoys it like Homey did, but I’ll take what I can get.

You must be wondering, what the heck is this horse? He a spectacular Canadian Warmblood/Paint! And super gorgeous in my biased opinion.

Here he is:


I have other pics too. Will add more as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving us a comment. We love to hear from our readers!