Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Spit Shine


I know that yesterday I said that I would post about my tips on boot polishing. So, ta-da! Here we go. 

Firstly, here are the tools I start with: 
This is literally all I use. 
1. Two dry, soft cloths. Here I have used a very soft shirt that I never wore, cut into squares. 
2. Water 
3. Your favorite polish. I am using Kiwi 

Secondly, I dampen one of the cloths with water and wipe down every inch of the boot thoroughly. I will even use a Q-tip (not shown here) to clean where the leather meets the sole of the boot. Other than that I take my sprayer in the sink and spray down this section. 
Pre-wipe down: 
Post wipe down: 
Thirdly, I open up my polish, which came with a sponge attachment thingie. I scoop up some polish and begin two inch wide circles all over the foot part of the boot. Yes I know, you're not supposed to polish the inside area, but on the foot part, it doesn't really matter. I know it seems like common sense, but I have to say it, do NOT polish the inside calf area! We don't want black polish on our $$$ saddles, do we? I keep doing this circular motion, over lapping my previous work several times. I then continue up the front of the boot, in between the laces, and over to the outside calf area. 
Fourthly, I let this layer of polish sit for a few minutes and then go back over the outside foot part one more time, paying special attention to the toe. 
Lastly, I dampen one side of the remaining cloth and wipe down the boots again, this time using a big circular motion. Again, I pay special attention to the toe and foot part of the boot. I use the dry part of the cloth to wipe off any excess water. 

The water on top of polish is really what creates that shine we love. 

I do realize that these pics are not the best, courtesy of dim living room lighting, but I hope you get the idea. 

Some final tips: 
Do not use saddle soap 
Wipe down boots with water and a soft cloth after every ride
Take care of your zippers! 
Keep boot savers in boots when not in use. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving us a comment. We love to hear from our readers!